Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Committed

I have been obsessed with scrapbooking since Becky introduced me to it in 2002. As soon as I picked up scrapbook supplies I let all other crafts and hobbies go. But this year I am determined to return to my roots and finish my cross-stitch.


You see, this cross-stitch is special. It's the final piece in a very special 3-piece collection. It's Carissa's Christmas stocking.


I started this before she was born over 6 years ago and figured it would take me a year or two to finish it. I had done it with the boys stockings, working on them in my spare time. Yet since 2002 all my spare time has gone to scrapbooking and the stocking continues to go unfinished.


Each year when Christmas rolls around Brian's Dad gives me a hard time about his poor Carissa who has to have a DOG stocking instead of a beautiful handmade one like her brothers. And each year I make a minor token effort to work on it for about a week or two. But it never gets finished. As a matter of fact, this is what my wall looks like right now.


But this year is different. This year I am committed to getting it done so I've spent every spare waking moment stitching this stocking. I put in at least 4 hours a day on it. Yesterday I spent nearly 2 hours doing nothing but french knots and another 4 1/2 stitching. My fingers hurt so badly that by 11pm I couldn't stitch anymore. And I've only sat at my scrap desk once in the last month, when I had broken my last stitching needle and the stores were already closed for the day. But it's all worth it. Slowly, over the last 5 or 6 weeks, I am seeing it begin to reach completion. It's not done yet. I still have a small corner left to stitch and then the sewing of the stocking to do. But the goal is so close.



This year Carissa will have stocking. She will not be left with a dog stocking while her brothers have their own beautiful cross-stitched stockings. She will have HER stocking, hand stitched with love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great! You have gone a long ways since I saw it last :-)
Way to go!

Anonymous said...

It looks amazing Annette!! Carissa will love it!! Happy holidays!! Linda

Linda said...

Beautiful work! I have toyed with the idea of making my kids their stockings, but my mom sent two beautiful stockings when they were each babies, so I use those instead. I can barely dedicate the time to scrapbook, much less cross-stitch or do needle point. I admire you for not ditching the project!