Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My dirty little secret...

I've hesitated to post about this before now for a few reasons. The first is because it is so entirely self-centered of me to be doing this. Then there was the fact that until two weeks ago it was just a plan and not a sure thing. And, of course, there's the guilt associated with the plan and the money issues and I just wasn't sure I wanted to share it with everyone. But now that we've passed the point of no return, here it goes...

I'M GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!! So here's the story behind this all. Becky and I met when we were both pregnant with our girls. That was over 10 years ago and she is like a sister to me. She is just such a fabulous person and we get along so well. Our kids are similar ages and the same genders (how wierd is that? We each have teenage boys, pre-teen boys and tween girls). Anyways, she's just a good friend who also happens to love Disney.

Now, the other part to this story is that 2 years ago she had to move away. :( Her husband took a new job in Arizona and they moved there. This job was better for their family and allowed them to be together again (her husband had been working in another state and she still lived here with the kids) so I was supportive and understanding of her reasons for going. But that doesn't mean I haven't missed her! I've seen her twice in the last 2 years and am sorely missing my dear friend.

The other thing I sorely miss is Disney. Yes, I know I just got back from Disneyworld a few months ago, but going to Disneyworld made me miss Disneyland.

Well, one day I was having a conversation with another Disney-freak friend (how do I attract all these Disney-crazy friends?LOL) and we mentioned how fun it would be to have a girls weekend there. Well that got me thinking and I got poking around. I called Bek because, of course, I wanted her to go! She was definitely up for it, since it was within driving distance from their home. She also sorely deserves a little "me" time. So we planned it.

In the end the other friend realized she wasn't able to go right now. Without skipping a beat Bek and I decided to just do it together. So we sat down and crunched the numbers. I volunteered a day of service to get a free day at the Disney park. I watched the deals and scored a great price on a hotel room. And then I stalked the airlines. And I stalked. And I stalked. I was hesitant to actually purchase tickets because I knew once I did that there was no backing out.

Brian and I each put away some "us" money from our tax returns. Brian spent his on motorcycle stuff and a flashlight for work. I saved mine and decided to use it on Disney. Last week I finally bit the bullet and purchased the airline tickets.

I do, of course, have some guilt about it all. For one, telling the kids was no fun. They are good sports but you can tell how bad they want to go too. Secondly, I feel bad about going and leaving Brian here to take care of the kids while I'm gone. He doesn't do very much for himself and that makes me feel worse about leaving him. But at the same time I deserve the chance to go away and not be "mom" or "honey" for a weekend. So I'm trying to let the guilt go. It's not always easy.

I leave May 5, so 1 month, 2 weeks and 4 days... not that I'm counting. ;)

So now it's a sure thing - Disneyland we come! Better watch out cause Bek and I are going to have an awesome time!!!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

i begged!!!! forever again last night to do this and i still got a no!! a very strong no. Even after i told him that it would be cheaper for me to go with you than for us to take all the kids in october. Darn that hubby!!

Pir8girl said...

You're going? And you didn't tell me? As you know we're going to Orlando in June. But WDW doesn't compare to Disneyland. Have a Dole whip for me!

Erica Brown said...

enjoy your trip! You deservet his Annette! You are so giving to others now you can go and have a girls weekend!

Carolyn F said...

Great post -- we are contemplating taking "us" time and leaving the kids with grandma for spring break, so I understand completely!