Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm typing this with tears in my eyes, barely able to read the screen through the haze. For I've just finished reading "Forever in Blue", the final book in the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. And, as with the other books in this series, I find myself crying.

These books touch me each time I read them. For they are about enduring, lifelong friendship.

I had it once. It wasn't always perfect, it wasn't always great, but it was enduring lifelong friendship.

Kim has been gone for almost exactly five years now, yet when I read these books the feeling of grief hits me anew.

I cry for the lost friend, for the memories we shared together, for the empty space that's left behind.

I cry because she knew it all. She knew who I was, good and bad. She knew the nuances of my childhood life. She knew every boy I'd ever kissed, knew every pet I'd ever had, knew the lies I'd told and the people I'd hurt. She knew the little tidbits that only we knew - the songs we used to sing together, our personal version of Barbies, the little abbreviations at the bottom of our notes that meant nothing to anyone but each other.

And while I truly love the Sisterhood series, there is a sad fact to face at the end of each book - my Sisterhood consisted of one person. And she's gone.

No comments: