Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Heart Attack!


Few things throw me into fits of panic. I've dealt with all sorts of scary things without getting upset. Most recently I dealt with Tristan screaming about his mangled arm and remained calm throughout the ambulance ride, surgery, etc. But yesterday I sort of lost it.

Yesterday I went to the Sheriffs Department to get fingerprinted for my concealed handguns license. The fingerprint ink and gooey stuff you use to remove it are all sorts of messy so she told me to take off my wedding ring so it wouldn't get inked. Well I did and then put it on my purse so I would remember it. Unfortunately, that's not how it happened.

When I was done I grabbed my purse and left, totally forgetting that my ring was on top. About 1/2 an hour later we were in Hillsboro on our way to Grandma's house for my Dad's birthday dinner (Happy 55th Dad!!!). I subconsciously feel for my ring and then it dawns on me... it's not there.

I start screaming words that you normally would never hear from my mouth. Brian, who is driving, is sitting next to me saying "What, what's wrong?" but I can't answer him because I'm cursing and frantic. Finally I calm down enough to tell him what happened.

He calls the jail, which is connected to the sheriffs department building, and enlists the help of one of his coworkers to look for my ring. She calls back 10 LONG minutes later to say that she doesn't see it. OH MY GOSH ... I DID NOT JUST LOSE MY WEDDING RING!!!

I explain to her that I put it on my purse and then picked my purse up. The ring could have flown up in the air and landed anywhere nearby. So she puts me on hold and 5 VERY LONG minutes pass before she comes on the line again.

I dread hearing her say that she can't find it. I imagine someone else passing by, picking it up and walking around with my beautiful, special, unique wedding ring on their finger. So when I hear her on the line I close my eyes in anticipation.

She says "Well, I have it". YEAH!!!! I was thrilled. I was ecstatic. I was still frantic and coming down from the adrenaline trip, but I was beyond happy.

So all is well that ends well. I have my ring back on my finger and my heart has returned to it's normal rate. But yesterday was a scare I will never forget.

2 comments:

The Mom said...

OMG my heart stopped beating until I read that they found it!! Glad that it was there!!

Concealed handgun license?? You go girl!! Remind me not to piss you off!! :)

Anita said...

Holy crap! That would scare me and I don't even have an expensive ring. It's more sentimental than anything. I'm so glad you got it back.