Thursday, June 09, 2011

Snapshots of Life, Week 4 (parts 1 & 2)

This week I had a lightbulb moment. Reading all these things, changing settings and *gasp* turning on manual! It just clicked and I feel like I'm really getting it. Plus, I got my sweet new lens that I'm already totally in love with!

The first part of Week 4 was Exposure Compensation. That means overexposing or underexposing your picture according to your tastes instead of the cameras. For instance, here's a picture of the cat with the cameras settings (which were a little messed up because she was lying on a shiny surface in bright sunlight).
And here's the settings I prefered, a slightly overexposed version.
In playing with it, I found that sometimes underexposed shots are fun too. Here's an underexposed one I loved.

Part 2 of our assignment was to take a try at manual. Now that I'm understanding the bits and pieces of photography, it wasn't as hard as I thought. This one was shot in the shade, hence the more muted colors in this photo. Anyways, here's my first photo taken in manual. :)

As I mentioned, I'm loving my new lens. I love the lower aperature setting and am finally able to produce great bokeh in my photos, like this one:
I still have one more assignment to complete for this week and will post that when it's done. :)

No comments: