Thursday, July 06, 2006

Happy Independence Day!

OK, so I'm a few days late. Cut a girl some slack. Life here is BUSY!

We took a few days off and went to the beach for the 4th. It was fun to take the kids to see the fireworks that I saw as a child. We came very early and staked out a spot to watch from. It was PERFECT! The best view you could get and our family there to share it with. It did get a bit cold, but at least we brought blankets to cover up with. So we lived.

While at the beach we also visited the Yaquina Head lighthouse. This is the lighthouse near where I lived as a teenager and I have always loved it. But in the 18 years I lived in Newport I'd never once stepped inside it. It was wonderful. Yes, a lot of stairs (I got my workout for the day! LOL) but it was well worth it to get to glimpse the view from the top.

After the lighthouse we took the kids to Cobble Beach. It's named that for a reason ... look at all the stones! They are all rounded too, making it very hard to walk on them. I was an idiot and forgot my tennies so I was walking around in these rocks with strappy, high healed sandals. Not good! We saw a bunch of anemones, sea urchins, hermit crabs, baby rock crabs and little fish. Sort of fun but much too precarious with Tristan's arm in a cast, so we opted to move to the next tidepools.

The second group of tidepools is called Quarry Cove. It has been spiffed up with wheelchair accessible trails (which were half covered in sand ... it is the beach you know!). A MUCH easier walk, though we didn't get to see anything except a couple starfish and a few dead crabs. Oh, and a big bunch of washed up seaweed that Carissa slipped into. Needless to say, I'll be scrubbing green goo off of the backside of her capris today.

Did a few more things, like visiting the Hatfield Marine Science Center, but more than anything just enjoyed our trip and relaxed a bit. Oh, we all came home safe and sound with no broken bones so it was a GREAT trip!

(OK, I have more pics but blogger is being a nincompoop right now ... I'll try to edit them in later.)

No comments: