Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Playing hookey


That's what we did today ... played hookey from our life and just went out and did out own thing. We all needed a day away so that's exactly what we did.

We took the boys out of school today and headed south past Salem to the Enchanted Forest. Brian and I both went to this mini theme park with out families when we were kids but we hadn't taken our children since Tristan was a baby. We had a great time! It scored high on the cheesey-ness scale, especially after Disneyland, but the kids didn't care. They enjoyed the fairytale land with displays that are a good 40+ years old (including the photo below - one of my faves as a child, "The Crooked House"). They loved the "old woman who lived in a shoe" slide that I loved when I was a child (see photo below). They loved the ridiculously cheesey version of The Princess and the Pea performed in the theater. They loved the old west town and light and water show. And they loved the rides too (see bumper cars photo below). Since it was a weekday and a school day the park was nearly empty and the kids really had free rein.

Afterwards we went out for pizza at Pietro's, which had some great games for the kids (and the pizza was pretty good too). Then it was a quick stop at the nice scrapbook store in Salem where I grabbed a few things (and would have grabbed more if I wasn't so overwhelmed with all the neat stuff).

Next we headed to Mom and Dad's house to help tear their house up. They're getting new windows soon so the guys had fun tearing the old ones out (and by old I mean OLD ... this was a 1910 house and I swear those windows have been in since then! LOL). Mom made dinner and then we headed home in time for showers and bed for the kids. It was a long day but a much needed day away from our normal life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day! You'll have to tell me about all the goodies you bought!

Michael Kort said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jim said...

I remember all that stuff too. Looks like so much fun!

Bro

Michael Kort said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonni said...

I remember that place...looks like they had a lot of fun

Anita said...

What a fun looking place. :) I'm glad mine are out of school and we can go do some stuff. If only we had time!