Wednesday, February 28, 2007

My 6 year old clotheshorse

No one believed me when I told them what Carissa wanted for her birthday... I told both grandparents to take her shopping for clothes. Of course, I think they just thought I was being the practical Mom and suggesting clothes instead of toys for her birthday. But that's not it at all. This girl LOVES her clothes.

Take, for instance, this outfit:



Carissa fell in love with it at first sight. It's a dress (more about her dress obsession later), it's pink, it's got sequins and sparkles on it and it's uber girly. Perfect for her. Here's how the dicussion went:

Carissa: Mom, look at this dress!
Me: Oh, that's cute.
Carissa: Can I get this dress?
Me: Not today.
Carissa: But Mom, I REALLY want it.
Me: You don't really need any clothes right now.
Carissa: BUT MOM (said in her best whiny voice), I *** REALLY *** want this dress.
Me: I know you want it but I'm not buying it for you.
Carissa: Then I can buy it.
Me: How are you going to buy it? (I know she doesn't have any money so I'm safe in asking this question, right?!?)
Carissa: With my chore money.
(I am totally dumbfounded that she remembered this chore money that she had earned last summer and I had, obviously, forgot about until this point)
Me: You don't want to spend your chore money on clothes, do you?
Carissa: Yes
Me: But don't you want to save it up for something big or buy a toy or some music with it.
Carissa: No, I want this dress.
Me: Are you sure?
Carissa (said with an absolute sense of conviction): YES!
And she walked away, triumphantly clutching her dress.

So there you have it, my daughter ended up with this new dress that she absolutely adores. And since she won't be caught dead in pants these days (seriously ... if it's not a dress or at least a skirt the girl does not want to wear it!) I guess it was a good buy for her. She's going to get her money out of it, that's for sure.

This isn't the only time Carissa's done this either. Same thing happened over a horse t-shirt that she just had to have last summer. And everytime we are in a clothes store it's "isn't this cute?" or "awwwwwww" (while she holds the coveted item in front of her to show off how it will look).

Just recently she has found some new clothing stores she loves. Of course, nothing inexpensive... Limited Too and the new Pumpkin Patch store are both on the upper side of kids clothing. But they really are adorable clothes and she knows it.

I fear I'm in big trouble in the future, as she saw the prom dresses inside JcPenny yesterday and started oooooo-ing over them. I glanced at the prices and cringed. Outfitting a clotheshorse is not going to be cheap ...

4 comments:

Jim said...

Jim and I are happy that we won't have to deal with fashion issues with little Randal. Boys don't seem to care about what they wear. Girls can be very opinionated when it comes to what they will and won't wear!

Linda said...

I could totally see Hannah in that dress! I'm glad my little girl has finally decided to be a girly girl, and I love to buy the dresses and skirts...but she still likes her pants, thank goodness. I am blessed, however, with a SIL who had three older girls and still hands down a lot of quality clothing that she keeps.

Melanie said...

She looks so cute in that dress--definitely worth the chore money! I hope that at least she dresses in clothes that flatter her and not just because everyone else is wearing it? DD loves skirts and dresses, too. She was upset when we told her that her uniform for school this year was shorts/pants. Next year she'll get to wear a skirt and she'll be so happy. Good luck on the future clothing bill! ;-)

Monica K said...

Atta girl, Carissa! Better start saving those pennies... you've got a girl with an eye for fashion! On one hand, you have to pat her on the back for such impeccable taste! Heehee.