Sunday, April 09, 2006

The perks of home ownership ...

Yes, we love our home. We love having a place that is ours as long as we want it to be, with no one to answer to when we want to do something to it. We love changing the paint (as long as it's not pepto-pink-puke colored) and we love learning how to take care of it. But what I don't love are the little surprises. And this week they hit us ... literally.

So here's the story - Chase is doing the dishes (yes, mean Mom makes makes her kids do the dishes ... one day the future spouses will thank me for it!) and I hear this rush of water and this yelp. I walk into the kitchen to see Chase soaked from head to toe and holding onto the head of our kitchen faucet. What happened is that he grabbed the faucet head to pull it out and use the spray feature and the end of the head just snaps off. Poof, end of faucet. Thankfully he had enough foresight to turn the water off fairly quickly, but as he stands dripping on the floor I can't help but laugh out loud. It was hilarious! Of course, it's too late at night to do anything about it so he finishes up the dishes (thank goodness the dishwasher still works) without rinsing them then cleans up the wet floor. Of course, to compact the issue I have to forget (TWICE) that there is no head on the faucet and I turn on the water, which in turn sprays a steady stream 4 feet across the kitchen soaking everything on the side of my refrigerator. Did I mention I did this twice? What a mess!!!

2 days later Chase goes to take a shower and I hear a similar yelp from him. When I go into the bathroom I see that the showerhead has cracked and water has shot out, thankfully missing Chase (who has had more than enough of the water folleys for now), and hitting the bathroom mirror, soaking the counter on the way.

So, we're down 2 things in 2 days. $200 later and 2 hours spent putting on the new kitchen faucet (the bathroom one only took 5 minutes! LOL) and we have learned our homeowners lesson for this week.

4 comments:

Linda said...

The joys of home ownership! I had a house like that - disaster after disaster...and since you've had 2 things happen, be on the lookout for #3...bad things always happen in threes!

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to us one time with our shower head, only it was a DISASTER...water soaking through the floor into the floor underneath! Glad it wasn't TOO major! Have a great day! :)
Linda

Anita said...

Oh, do I know how that feels! When it rains is pours with fixing things at home...uh, no pun intended. ;)

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»